Highlights of the month
- Lisbon is a very nice city and I'm almost a pro surfer 🏄♂️🌊. I'm kidding, at least I don't fall very often... I'll stay here at least one more month!! 🙂
- A new version of wetipi website with evolved brand is online. We also continue doing efforts towards closing an investment round
- In GouBlue we won an award (Muevete verde) and we appeared in the Spanish edition of Business Insider.
- I'm moving forward in two processes for getting a new client. Let's see how it goes and if next month I have news here. These processes consume a lot of energy and mental space 🤯
- I released a new blog post, the second part of What is Fire for me, talking about Financial Independence
- The blog has now a designed newsletter/mail and it is managed in MailChimp.
This month I've enjoyed discovering Lisbon and learning how to surf. But, above all, I've learned two key lessons I think are going to help me a lot in my journey
This month I have enjoyed Lisbon a lot. I also could work on many stuff. But one of the most important things I've learned for my journey is that, probably, at this very moment, I need a little bit of stability. I, the eternal friend of the uncertainty 🤪. Either I've grown up, or it was too much for only one change in this very moment of my life—also Covid also counts.
Even having a perfect and calm time here, not working so much and not feeling really stressed, I discovered that I was stressed in a very low and deep level. I suffered shoulder pain without reason. That's my personal and first signal for detecting my periods of stress.
I listen to many podcasts, and in one of them, they interview people that did something similar to what I'm doing or are trying to release, or released, their own small companies. In that podcast, almost all of the interviewers mentioned the same thing. Many of them had the same problem I'm having. Even with better savings, connections experience and profile than me, they suffered stress at the very beginning of their journey, without reason. Mainly, they say the same, there was something in their brain that had to adjust to the new situation. They had no job, some had a family to maintain, they lived in more expensive countries... Somehow their brains were stressing them because the situation was problematic and not save because they had no income. Almost all of them solved the problem in the same way: doing a small step backwards. Either taking some freelance work or part-time-temporary job for having some temporary income and being able to adjust to the new situation.
That is one of the reasons why I'm making efforts for finding a temporary new client even if I can survive without income 3-5 years. The other one is because of this stress and the false need for building something NOW, I'm not working creatively and productively at this very moment. Instead of investing time into research, learning, exploring, playing and asking questions, I'm focused on getting something done ASAP. That's not a good way to create something meaningful or with value. I need peace of mind to play and research freely. I don't have it now because of that low-level stress. I don't know if it is the right solution, but it is the direction I'm taking. Weeks will say if it is the right approach.
In other words, stressors in the body are there for good reasons. They stress you in extreme situations where your brain detects danger. The problem is they work in the natural habitat of the human being when a lion wants to eat you, but not in modern societies when not making it for a deadline doesn't really matter. So, maybe my unconscious is saying:
Fuck! You don’t have a job, you don’t have an income, find one because bad things are going to happen if you don't do it!
But that’s not true. I’m not going to die neither a lion is going to eat me. But my lizard brain, the brain that controls stress, doesn’t know that. So I need time to make my lizard brain realize that is fine, I can take care of everything.
The second lesson I've learned is that I should change when I'm telling myself "I have to" for "I want to":
I don't have to finish this small thing today → I want to finish this small thing today
I don't have to do this design → I want to do this design so that I can achieve this other thing
I don't have to learn this thing → I want to learn this thing so that I can build what I want
I don't have to live the life I'm leaving → I want to live the life I'm leaving and I’m grateful because I’ve chosen it
At the beginning, Lisbon appeared to be a normal city to me. Beautiful, but nothing special. Nevertheless, when you start to know some places, and you start to meet people here, it starts to stand out. Lisbon is not about the city, Lisbon is about vibes.
Previous month priorities review
I think I'm definitely doing it 😎☀️🏄♂️🌊🏔
Finalizing pages for Property Managers and Investors. They'll be ready next week
I didn't do any of this because I've been involved in three processes with their respective Home Tasks. That was the time reserved for this. Also, if I get a contract, I won't need this...
Sadly, I couldn't start. I've been listening and reading too many things and have too many ideas. Also, because I've been suffering a little bit of stress, I postponed this. I'm suffering a little bit of paralysis for analysis and so many things and ideas I can build 🤯
Surprisingly, the embassy took 1 week and a half to answer every email I sent to them to forward the pack to Lisbon. And I had to call them more than once... In all my previous interactions with the Estonian government and police, everything was super smooth. Maybe it is because they are the Estonian workers in Spain and they got used to the way to do things in Spain? 😂 I'm still waiting for the card to arrive in Lisbon...
Next month high-level priorities
This next section includes more details and explanations about everything I have done during the month to help me see how much I’ve done, like a diary for myself. The resume of the essential things is above.
- I created a set of new slides for the pitch decks that show the UX flow of the app
- We have now two different pitch decks. For investors and for property managers
- I have updated the Pitch Decks
- I have updated the Landing and contact pages of the website and I'm working on the secondary pages (Property Managers and Investors)
- We won an award (Muevete verde) and we appeared in the Spanish edition of Business Insider
- I added the award, the reference of Business Insider and new Cookies page in the website and did minor adjustments to it
- We prepared and started the sales process. Including the process, buyer personas, research for gathering company contacts and details, preparing messages to send to people, KPIs and social network posts
- We have started to contact companies for trying to sale the app
- I'm working on different landing pages for the sales funnel
Portfolio, applications & interviews
- I improved the written content of my portfolio
- In this month I have been involved in three process for having a new client. I'm in the latest states of two of them (hopefully I'll have some news next month). In the other one they rejected me after doing the Home Task because they were looking for someone more specialised in UI . It surprised me because they could see that my profile is not like that since the beginning. But at least they paid me... 🤷♂️
Nomad Samurai blog
- I set up a base with Ghost, Heroku, Gatsby and Netlify for having a free blog for Nomad Samurai in one full day. Also, being in JAMStack would improve the performance and SEO of the blog. After still needing to customize many things, I realized that it is a waste of time for me to do this. I will switch to Wordpress at the moment I want to open the blog. If that happens. My time is more valuable than Wordpress price
- I released a new blog post, the second part of What is Fire for me
- I migrate all the newsletter management to MailChimp to have it automatized and created a custom design for my newsletters.
- I'm preparing an open finance page with all my finances for the blog
Other small bets
- I have increased in a considerable amount the pool of ideas I have to develop. I have refined many of them and I'm ready to start with one 🙃
- I did a clean up of my backlog and things I want to do 🪓
- I registered in Lisbon as long-term non resident so that I could unregister myself from Zurich
- I continue studying full-stack development in a low but steady rhythm
- I finished some paperwork I had to finish from Switzerland (Liability and Health insurance)
- I'm helping Lynda with her self-development project 💪
Support me by subscribing and help me stay accountable for my progress
This blog is a tool to keep me in the pace of creating stuff and openly sharing my journey. If I don’t make progress, you can point me and tell me: GO FUCKING DO IT! 👉